SC Halts Demolition, Sealing in DLF City, Giving Relief to 2,100 Residents

SC Halts Demolition, Sealing in DLF City, Giving Relief to 2,100 Residents

In a major reprieve for 2,100 residents of DLF City, the Supreme Court on Friday temporarily stayed the Punjab and Haryana High Court’s order directing the demolition of unauthorised constructions and sealing of commercial establishments in DLF Phases 1 to 5.

The stay is valid for four weeks and comes in response to petitions filed by the affected residents.

The Supreme Court’s intervention came just as the Department of Town and Country Planning (DTCP) was set to begin its enforcement drive. “We reached the site to implement the High Court’s order, but later learnt that the Supreme Court has stayed it. We are still awaiting the detailed order,” said Amit Madholia, Enforcement Officer, DTCP.

Residents expressed relief and gratitude over the apex court’s decision. “We welcome the Supreme Court's move. We are not encroachers; we own this land and pay all applicable taxes. We placed our concerns before the Court, which were duly heard,” said Satish Yadav, a resident.

The Punjab and Haryana High Court had earlier passed the demolition and sealing orders on a petition filed by Sameer Puri, President of the DLF Phase 3 Resident Welfare Association. Following the Supreme Court's stay, Puri said, “The High Court had ruled in our favor, and now the matter is before the Supreme Court. We will continue to pursue our case.”

The High Court's order dated February 13 had prompted the DTCP to survey DLF properties, identifying over 4,200 units violating building norms. Of these, 2,100 structures—particularly in U-Block of DLF Phase 3—were marked for action starting April 4. Before the crackdown, show-cause notices had been issued, giving property owners seven days to respond. Failure to comply was to result in stringent action under the Haryana Urban Development Act and Building Code.

The enforcement team had finalized an action plan, forming four teams under the supervision of duty magistrates. Police personnel were deployed to ensure law and order during the operation.

Many of the 60-square-yard plots in DLF areas have long been used for commercial purposes, such as shops, guest houses, and paying guest accommodations. In U-Block, violations were especially egregious, with some buildings illegally constructed up to six or eight storeys—well beyond permissible limits. In anticipation of the crackdown, many of these businesses had already shut down.

Authorities had earlier warned that any tampering with the sealing process would invite legal consequences, including FIRs.

The original PIL was filed in 2021 by the DLF City Resident Welfare Association, raising concerns about rampant illegal construction across Phases 1 to 5. The petitioners argued that these violations had diminished the overall quality of life in the area and called for the demolition of illegal buildings and revocation of occupation certificates issued unlawfully.

Share this News

Website designed, developed and maintained by webexy